The aim of the Ashden Awards is to promote the widespread use of local, sustainable energy, because of the environmental, social and economic benefits this provides. The awards reward outstanding and innovative renewable energy projects in developing countries and in the UK, with funding for future developments.
Through the scheme and related activities, these awards aim to persuade policymakers, funders and the wider public to recognise renewable energy efficiency as a crucial tool for addressing the urgent global issues of climate change, pollution and energy supply, as well as the social and economic needs of local communities across the globe.
The Ashden Award for International Development 2020 prize package is as follows:
- Award of up to £20,000
- National and international media exposure
- Tailored support to develop work even further
- Media materials to help tell a story
The Ashden Award for Cities 2020 prize package is as follows:
- Prize money of £10,000 per award
- National media exposure
- Access to policymakers and investors
- Ongoing tailored support to help expand work
- Year-round speaking opportunities and networking events
In general, the awards are open to any type of organisation, including businesses, social enterprises, not-for-profits and public sector.
The deadline for receipt of applications for the 2020 awards is 11 December 2019.